Friday, December 28, 2007

Old Habits

How do I always manage to pick the suicidal taxi drivers? Is this my Heroes power? The ability to always choose suspect taxi's? Seems pretty useless and potentially life threatening...

So I arrived last night in Singapore and the very first impression I had was that I was back in Hong Kong. I mean the roads are named the same. It's about the same temperature. They drive on the left hand side of the road in right hand drive cars and all the taxi's are the Toyota's and Hyundai's that are used in HK.

So I hop in a Taxi and the guy asks where I'm going (Perfect English) and I tell him Le Meridien. He says "which one?" I panic. There's two? He says "One near here and one downtown." I say downtown and hope I'm right.

About 3 seconds later as my face is finally starting to relax from the whiplash we are doing 140kph in an 80kph zone flying by all the other cabs. So while we are weaving around the other cabs I casually mentioned that I wasn't in any sort of a rush.
He says "You are in a rush?"
NO! I'm just saying we don't need to hurry.
He says "Oh, OK I'm not hurrying." as he continued to play dodge taxi.
By now I've put on my seat belt (which I pretty much never do in cabs) and am considering that maybe doing a will before I left was tempting fate.. I make it to the hotel alive (always good) and think to myself that maybe crazy cabbies are just a prerequisite for crazy rallys.

This morning I woke up bright and early at 7AM, had breakfast, and decided to go for a quick walk. I'd been walking about 1 minutes when I ran into an old friend.

Now I quit drinking coffee and caffeine about two weeks before I left for this trip. Unfortunately I started drinking it again about 13 days before I left for this trip and this process has continued right up until I ran into this coffee shop. At this point it had been at least 2 hours since my last coffee so naturally I had to stop and grab a quick latte.

I love Starbucks. I can't help it. They are everywhere and while some consider this evidence of their evilness I'm happy I can feed my habit consistently and with the same flavored drug.

No comments: